Old November 13th 03, 02:49 AM
David L. Johnson

Default Stockpiling 110mm/74mm chainrings and cranks

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 21:08:40 +0000, Rocketman wrote:

newer cranks is not a viable option. What I need, and what most everybody
needs IMO, are 110/74mm cranks,

Well, it seems that 110/74 is on the rise, after Hamilton used on in the
Tour. There is a _lot_ of old and new stock in 110/74 size, so you need
not worry. As to whether or not this is the universal need, I might
quibble. I have found that, for me, 94/56 is somewhat better. I can use
a 12-23 cassette with my 46/30 chainrings and get all the range of a
triple with a double -- OK, except the big gears that I do not use. I can
also hang a teeny granny on and do loaded touring. Works for me better
than 110, since in that size the smallest middle ring is a 34.

since they provide an appropriate range of
chainring sizes for just about every practical use of a bicycle with
standard-sized wheels. The availability of 7-speed 11-34T cassettes makes
the 110/74mm standard even more attractive, as it offers both a much lower
granny gear and a higher top gear than was available in years past.

No matter what size rings you use, you will have
large duplication with that 11-34. You can do as well with a tighter
cassette if you use smaller middle and granny rings.

thank the burgeoning low-end bike market for prolonging the existence of
the very sensible 7-speed drivetrains for the foreseeable future, though
8-speed shifters and cassettes appear to be drying up very quickly. Get
those 8-speed components while you can!

I'm not sure why 7-speed is more sensible than 8, or even 9. Considering
that you cannot still get a better chain with 7-speed, more like the
chains of old that Jobst talks about, there is little advantage. 9-speed
stuff is dirt cheap, and lasts as long as any other. Why not?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You
_`\(,_ | soon find out the pig likes it!