Old August 10th 04, 11:51 AM
MD

Default upgrading MTB and some OT

"Bryan" wrote in message
om...
I'm thinking about upgrading my old MTB. First upgrade wuill be a

new
set of V's. I've been looking at Avid SD5 or SD7's. Has anyone go
these, if so what are they like? Some reviews of the SD5's say that
they rust very easily, whilst this isn't a real problem (but why

make
MTB kit that rusts?), are the SD7's worth the extra?

I've got SD7's on one bike and SD3's on another. The SD7's are a lot
nicer, giving much better feel and slightly better stopping power IMO.
The 7's are easier to adjust as well. The variable modulation
available on 5's-upwards levers is a small but worthwhile benefit.
Overall, the more expensive brakes are much more pleasant in use.
Cables are Avid flackjackets in both cases.

I've got a Deore front V on an old hybrid bike, and I would say the
3's are about as good as that - functional but that's about it. The
7's seem to compare well with the Shimano XT's on a friends bike.

The springs on both rust a bit, which is a bit poor. Everything else
is aluminium. The finish on the 7's is better, as is the adjustment
hardware.

--

Regards,

Mark Davies