Old July 29th 05, 05:41 PM
Edward Dolan

"Mike Rice" wrote in message
news [...]

Edward Dolan wrote:

The RANS V2 is a long wheel base much like the Tour Easy, except that it
has
a much higher crank. The Mueller Fairing may have prevented me from seeing
the road crack as it lines up all wrong for good road viewing.

I thought about the V2 when I wsa deciding which bent to get. But I
haven't had the pleasure of riding any RANS product. The V2 intrigues
me, so does the V-Rex. If I ever get a second recumbent I think it
will be something in the nature of a V-Rex, Volae, or P-38.

Although those dual 26's are interesting as well.

Heck, I liked all the recumbents I test rode that first day. It would
be interesting to see how the different styles feel now that I have a
couple year's experience with the TE.

All the bikes that you are presently thinking about have a high BB. This is
a critical difference when it comes to recumbents. Your TE has a low crank;
my V2 has a high crank. You sit on the V2 pretty much as you would sit on a
V-Rex and other SWB's. Your legs are at the level of your hip when pedaling.
This is good for aerodynamics, maybe not so good for physiology. It also
creates a more difficult handling condition overall. The major advantage of
a recumbent with a high crank is that you can get the seat laid back more,
thereby getting some weight off of your rear. On long tours this can be
important.

Before you get a high BB recumbent, make sure that you will not have foot
numbness from the high crank. You need to ride the bike continuously for
about an hour or so to make sure.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota