Old October 3rd 18, 04:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_]

Default Cyclists waste petrol

On 10/02/2018 05:01 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 20:26:26 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/30/2018 10:00 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 03:12:20 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/10/2018 12:53 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Are your roads littered with speed bumps? I go over perhaps 200 a
day.

That cinches it. No trip to the UK for me. Some of our dirt roads have
speed bumps, aka small boulders, but I've never seen them other
than on
private roads.

Round here they put them in the stupidest of places, for example 10
yards from a junction, where nobody could possibly be speeding anyway.

And apparently they cost £10,000 each to install including paperwork.

We have various 'traffic calming' schemes like roundabouts and bulbouts
but speed bumps would really **** off the snowplow crews to say nothing
of the cops.

Even some of the semi-private areas are getting rid of them. I hit one
of the damn things on my bicycle. The sun was in my eyes and I didn't
see it coming so I taco'd my front wheel and did a face plant. I was not
happy.

You should have attempted to sue the council (or whatever you call
them over there). Causing injury to a cyclist can't be allowed surely?

I hope I one day catch an old lady tripping over one on my dashcam.
I've seen it happen before, a pensioner crosses the road and trips on
the stupid thing. But I need proof.

Further north, they have bollards on the narrowing things (we call
them chicanes,

Nope.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicane

I assume that's what you refer to as a bulbout).

Nope
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curb_extension

https://missoulian.com/news/local/bi...cc4c03286.html

These are the worst of both. The theory is pedestrians will be out in
the street, visible, and have a shorter path. They suck for bicycles
since you're forced out in the traffic lane, and are difficult for
trucks and buses to navigate.

There are also micro-roundabouts. Basically you take a 4-way
intersection of residential streets, build a little round island in the
middle, and plant flowers. The first moving van in the area runs over
the thing since it's impossible to navigate around it with anything
bigger than a mini-van.