Old September 10th 19, 06:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

Default Electric scooters 'would beat cars on short journeys and help cutcongestion in UK's gridlocked cities'

On 10/09/2019 03:54, Bret Cahill wrote:
I thought they were limited to 15mph?

Are the 28mph ones street legal without a driving licence?

They are limited to 15mph on UK roads.

Ah - I thought so.
When I was commuting, I would always pass them on my ride to work as my top speed on the flat was 34mph (with a tail wind).

The UK top legal power limit for a road E Bike is 250 watt, whereas

mine is 500watt. Hence the extra speed on mine. Very fast accelleration.

How many km have you put on it?

We wanna to hear from an E-Bike user who rode 250,000 km.

I recently acquired a 500 W Go Swiss Drive E bike with 37 N-m torque. 37 N-m comes out to be ~ a half ton of shear force on the itsy bitsy 1 cm long torque arm which acts as a shear pin, intentionally or not.

It's a stupid design.

Instead of a shear pin they need to deliver the torque through magnets on the torque arm and frame for a "torque circuit breaker" to preserve the drive shaft as well as the torque arm when something goes wrong.

Then all you need to do is reset the magnets like resetting a circuit breaker.

Also, the wires need to be designed to pop out of the plug very easily when something goes wrong to not damage the circuit board in the hub motor.

Then all you need to do is replug the wires.

As one EU automotive engineer said, E-Bikes aren't there yet.

But they soon will be.

In the meantime, I'll be peddling!

Bret Cahill

Do you enjoy your E bike for a bit of fun or is it basically an ornament?

I'm getting on now so I gave away my push bikes and just enjoy the
luxury of lazy cycling.
I fitted a trailer to it, handy when I go fishing.
I mainly use my car these days anyway.

--
Bod