Old February 8th 11, 11:15 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Keogh

Default Revenge of the Lycra-clad cyclists

Geoff, it is time to get over the lycra thing: or seek therapy.

They are all just cyclists. Whether I am wearing a t-shirt and
boardshorts or lycra knicks and jersey I am still just a cyclist.
Face it: some people ride faster than others, some ride slower than they
can, some are in no rush, some love the feel of speed. But no
matter whether it is an italian carbon fibre bike and the rider is
decked out in the full team kit or whether it is a rusty Gitane mixte
ridden by someone in overalls they are all just other cyclists.

Go faster than them if you wish to and you can, ride along and chat,
dawdle as they zoom past, it is all the same.

Every additional person (regardless of wardrobe) who rides a bike makes
it a healthier and safer place for you and for me. This goes for people
who ride on roads, off road, on cycle paths or on the velodrome. It is
all good.

That person trundling down to the shops on the bike with baskets front
and rear could be me. Or the person out cruising on the retro fixie, or
wearing tough clothes on the dualie out on some singletrack, or with my
laden touring bike rolling down some country road, or in my lycra on my
CF road bike, I don't change personality when I swap bikes so I don't
apply stereotypes to other bike riders either.

On 9/02/2011 7:57 AM, Geoff Lock wrote:
snip