Old November 3rd 05, 09:43 AM

Default U.S. versus Italy for mountain rides?

Let me add to my answer.

"Are there some paved roads in the United States with mountain
views as
spectacular (or more?) as the Dolomites in Italy?"

The Stelvio (Dolomites of course) from both sides is the best road and
view combination I've ever cycled and I don't know whether it can be
matched. The "Stella Ring" is very special as well.

Crater Lake, six hours from the Bay Area, is my favorite ride in North
America. Here are some of my favorite mountain views in North America
while riding a road bike from trip reports I've posted:

Crater Lake: http://tinyurl.com/benyw
Kings Canyon: http://tinyurl.com/9n8ct and http://tinyurl.com/8unso
Monitor Pass: http://tinyurl.com/c6ag5

Of course, one photograph is not enough to get the "complete picture"
so you should view some other photos in the trip reports which you can
do by clicking "return to gallery" for each of the above photos.

Steve
http://www.steephill.tv