Old March 15th 07, 12:21 PM posted to aus.bicycle
rooman[_49_]

Default Riding up Oliver's Hill to be barred

Bleve Wrote:
On Mar 15, 3:08 pm, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
In aus.bicycle on 14 Mar 2007 20:38:11 -0700

Bleve wrote:

Interesting to see if it's actually legal to force riders off a

normal
road. If there's a police direction, that's one thing, but a
permanent rule? Is it legal on normal roadways to prohibit a class

of
vehicle?

Most freeways in most states prohibit animals and animal-drawn

vehicles.
Some prohibit bicycles on part or all.

Some roads have weight limits, some have size limits. Don't see why
they can't be about underweight as well as overweight

I thought freeways were a different (special) case though? My
understanding was that a normal gazetted road was open to all
'vehicles' (which, AFAIK, includes bicycles). Thus the question.
And, Andrew, I've ridden up Olivers Hill and felt as safe as I feel on
most busy roads. Your paranoia does not mean the road is any more or
less safe than any other road.

Zebee

we've covered this before....and discussed the for's and against on
sending bunches up Hopes Rise...

I guess some local constable plod has a nose out of joint or has a
buddy who has influence...

large groups of 30 ( yes legal number is 30, then a permit etc etc) are
safer on the main roadway, Hopes Rise is very dangerous above 15klm per
hour and when numbers are large...

Hope's Rise is fine for small groups and individuals and I recommend it
for that purpose...am not enamoured about any form of compulsory signage
directing all bicycle traffic ( and it is traffic) up Hopes Rise at all
times...

The Black Rock ride doesnt cause any issues at the time of day it rides
Ollies, obvious to me this is some way of getting to it without
expressly saying so...will be interesting therefore to see the reaction
of the non organisers especially the old salts from StKilda CC...., they
dont have to use Ollies anyway to go up towards Mt Eliza, there is Karr
Street, and any other number of ways through Frankston to get to Mt
Eliza...

I would suggest a better solution to the climb up Ollies for all
traffic is to limit the speed limit to below 60kph and warning though
traffic and traffic on the limit to use the right hand lane...bikes are
not the only vehicles that use Ollies below 40klmph, many trucks,
graders, tractors and slow cars find the climb onerous and slow....will
they be going up Hopes rise too?

--
rooman