Old March 18th 07, 10:10 PM posted to aus.bicycle
byron27[_24_]

Default Riding up Oliver's Hill to be barred

DaveB Wrote:
AndrewJ wrote:
I think the right way to manage this for the "Hell Ride" is to
designate it an official event
that is held every week at the same time. Then put traffic conditions
on all of the
roads, including Frankston that apply at that time that make it safe
for the race and the
cars to be present.

So there will be entry fees for this training ride I assume in order to
cover road closures and the insurance that would be required to run an
official event on the roads? And of course everyone would be happy to
pay for that even though you can do the same ride for free. Bit more
thought required.

DaveB

In all the time i have spent in the Hell Ride group they have stayed
in one lane all at once for maybe 2-3 minutes.

I feel that one of the main issues, that has been mentioned previously,
is respect for the road rules by all members of the group. In the (rare)
instances i have been on public group rides like this in Perth (Papa's
public holiday rides) where there are over 80-90 riders, the group
stays within one lane and slows coming into lights in case in turns.

The Hell Ride seems to be full of PBR's (professional bunch riders) who
rarely, if ever race, and get all their competitive urges out in a
public group ride. This leads to excessive chopping, pushing through
non existent gaps and treating the road as their closed race course.
This is the only group ride i have ever done where i fear for my safety
to the degree where i refuse to do it anymore.

How to change the attitude of the ride? i have no idea. i know when
people start racing a lot they treat group rides as training and know
when the real racing is.

--
byron27