Old May 8th 18, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Desperate needs = desperate but workable solution

On 5/7/2018 9:28 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 4:39:31 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

And what do you do for the front? Bikes have two wheels. Call your wife
from the hospital that dinner is off tonight, and the next 10-20 days?

Wow, you're a nervous nelly. And what about the front? We're talking about a rear wheel and a casing scuff. If it were on the front tire, I'd keep an eye on it. I've ridden front tires booted with a $1 bill for many, many miles.

On our coast-to-coast tour, my daughter got a gash over 1/2" in the
front tire of her Terry bike. That bike has an odd size front wheel.
Late Saturday in South Dakota, there was absolutely no way to get a
replacement tire. Ditto Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday... The best
we could do was to call Terry Inc. on Monday and get it quick-shipped to
the next bike shop on our route, which was well over a hundred miles away.

On the road, I triple-booted the tire and we ran low pressure the rest
of that day. In the motel, I stitched the gash back together as well as
I could, re-did the internal boots, and rode the tire all those miles to
that bike shop.

I guess Joerg would have taken a taxi?

--
- Frank Krygowski