Old June 10th 07, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_2_]

Default Are cycle lanes any use?

Neil Williams wrote on 10/06/2007 13:42 +0100:

Perception is as important as actual safety when encouraging more
cycling, though, which I'm sure we'd all agree is a desirable thing.

Which is why continually telling people that they need special
protective equipment and facilities to protect them is a very bad idea.
Cycling is not actually unsafe, its just the perception the road
safety lobby create.

Cycling in London is a scary prospect for the inexperienced cyclist.

In parts of London. There are large parts I cycle in central London
where you meet almost no cars or taxis.

You could argue for blanket 20mph speed limits and such to make
cycling easier (note I say easier/less scary, not safer) but
realistically that is not a particularly feasible option.

Why not?

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell