Old May 28th 18, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default randonneur

On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 7:29:09 PM UTC-5, James wrote:

Why not tow a trailer?

http://www.bobgear.com/bike-trailers/yak

No need for special racks and bags on the bike. By swapping the cranks
and cassette, I could use my otherwise regular road bike to go touring!

Yes Bob trailers work for touring with a road racing bicycle. Some people love them. But they have their downsides too. The bike handles very differently. And the trailer weighs about 15 pounds all by itself empty. Far more than the weight of racks on a touring bike. And the plastic bag on the Bob weighs more than the four panniers too. And its easy to carry too much with a Bob because you have all this space to carry stuff. Lot of people make the error of filling up every spare space. And there is the problem of transporting the Bob trailer. Bikes in the past flew as free luggage. Not anymore. But now after paying for the bike box, you ALSO have to pay for the trailer box too. Paying on both ends of your trip. Assuming your trips require airlines.