Old May 28th 18, 03:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default randonneur

On 28/05/18 12:16, wrote:
On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 7:29:09 PM UTC-5, James wrote:

Why not tow a trailer?

http://www.bobgear.com/bike-trailers/yak

No need for special racks and bags on the bike. By swapping the
cranks and cassette, I could use my otherwise regular road bike to
go touring!

Yes Bob trailers work for touring with a road racing bicycle. Some
people love them. But they have their downsides too. The bike
handles very differently.

I noticed that when I towed my trailer with a racing bike built from 1"
853, it made the bike feel very flexible. On my Columbus Spirit road
bike with oversized tubes, it is fine. It is just as fine towing behind
my MTB. I suspect if I loaded my 853 bike with pannier racks and such,
it would feel quite noodle-like as well.

And the trailer weighs about 15 pounds all
by itself empty. Far more than the weight of racks on a touring
bike. And the plastic bag on the Bob weighs more than the four
panniers too.

Wow. You must have very light pannier bags. The ones I used when I was
a lad were fairly heavy, made from canvas with hard boards and metal
hooks, etc. Far heavier than the bag I have for my trailer.

And its easy to carry too much with a Bob because you
have all this space to carry stuff. Lot of people make the error of
filling up every spare space. And there is the problem of
transporting the Bob trailer. Bikes in the past flew as free
luggage. Not anymore. But now after paying for the bike box, you
ALSO have to pay for the trailer box too. Paying on both ends of
your trip. Assuming your trips require airlines.

The trailer I have (Bob Yak style), can easily be disassembled and folds
flat. I doubt I'd have any difficulty adding to a bike box.

--
JS