Old May 28th 18, 01:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

Default randonneur

On 27/05/2018 10:07 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 6:24:15 PM UTC-5, Duane wrote:
jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 3:44:30 PM UTC-7, wrote:
In all of my loaded touring I have never used a stove or cooked my own
food. Too simple for the past 25 years to just eat in restaurants or
buy food already to eat. Gas stations, convenience stores, grocery
stores all have food ready to eat. No need to cook raw food on a
bicycle trip. At worst just carry a can opener and buy a can of chicken
breast or tuna and a couple cans of pork and beans. Tasty meal. Add
some bread and raw fruit and you have a feast.

I’ve done some camping and some camping by bike. Canned chicken was not
something I’d consider. Didn’t even know it was a thing. Better to bring
a rod and reel and get some catfish.

--
duane

Canned chicken is sold right next to the canned tuna. I assume your grocery stores sell canned tuna? The canned chicken is breast meat. Better tasting than tuna. Rod and reel? I've heard more than a few stories of people fishing all day and not catching a single fish. Not the way I want to plan my supper. I like sure things. Opening up a can of tuna or chicken is a sure thing. Fishing 1, 2, 3, 6, 12 hours for one fish? Carrying a rod and bait?

Sarcasm really doesn't work on usenet.

I wouldn't eat canned chicken. I barely can tolerate canned tuna. The
idea of traveling by bike or foot and using that for fuel doesn't work
for me. Whether hiking or camping by bike I usually bring my rod, reel
and a few lures. (bait? maybe the canned chicken would work for
that...) But I'm not going to carry canned goods. And if I'm planning
to buy them on the spot, I would buy something like pasta salad fixings.
Canned meat and beans doesn't seem like good fuel.

There are a few pretty good outdoor outfitter places around. I have a
set of camping pots that fit into each other and weigh probably less
than two cans of tuna. They also sell these freeze dried meal packs and
I carry a few of them in case I can't find a grocery or a fishing pond.