Old August 29th 14, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Light works

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/28/2014 9:06 PM, jbeattie wrote:

I would think the bigger issue(s) on a mountain bike would be (1)
electric

wire fatigue with suspension forks, (2) axle and internal failures on
big hit
bikes, (3) no stand light, and (4) less options for a bright light
(SuperNova
is about it apart from some of the Chinese products).

Do you know any really bright (as in 2W LED) tail light that can be
externally powered, won't cost an arm and a leg, and is "trail-rated"
for gnarly MTB use?

I really wonder how much beating the internals can take -- maybe it's
a lot.

I don't do a lot of trail riding at night, but my choice would be a
light that
works when the bike is stopped and that I can use to see my wounds.

I guess one can always hypothesize unsolvable problems.

Going up a steep hill on a MTB where a dynamo does not produce isn't
really a hypothetical problem.

1) Wire fatigue is eminently controllable through fairly simple design.
After all, off-road motorcycles do have wires. 2) Front axles break...
really, how often? 3) Tons of modern LED headlights feature
standlights. 4) How much light do we really need anyway?

As I've said before, if the "more is always necessary" rationale for
headlights were applied to other bicycle equipment, we'd all be on
motorcycle spokes and tires. Bicycle design is about efficiency and
elegance, except for most headlights. Then it switches to sledgehammer
mentality.

Oh, not just there. I for one do not like the flimsy brake pads that
bikes have. I just wore out a pair at a measly 500mi.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/