Old February 11th 17, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Fresh satellite photos for bike path conditions?

On 2/10/2017 1:08 PM, Joerg wrote:
While there are plenty of services for motorists to find out about road
closures there is next to nothing for cyclists. Right now I need to know
whether a particular section of the American River Bike Path (north of
Lake Natoma) is still closed or not. There was a major rock slide on
Jan-22. Park service sites are generally unhelpful because there are
hardly any current status notifications and inquiries remain unanswered.

Is there a really up to day and free site with sateliite images detailed
enough to find out if the big boulders are still blocking the path? Must
have date stamp, else it's of no use.

Or maybe there is the outside chance someone reading this rode
Sacramento-Folsom or vice versa this week and could tell.

I had the same issue with a bicycle trail that runs along a creek in
Santa Clara. There is no way to find out the status of it. They close it
when the creek is too high because the underpasses will be flooded.