Old November 7th 19, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Can this be true?

On Thursday, November 7, 2019 at 7:14:31 AM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 8:30:36 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 6 Nov 2019 19:45:10 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

This is admirable. In fact, it's amazing:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...million-miles/

But look at the 2nd photo! No helmet. No lycra. No STI. No disc brakes.
Toe clips instead of clipless pedals. No visible carbon fiber. Those
even look like cottered cranks!

Can it really be true?

And his "lowest" mileage was 18,500 miles. It makes those bragging
about 4,000 miles look like pretty silly :-)

Actually, his recent 8,000 mile year was his lowest, due to age. It's amazing and odd all at the same time. I know nothing about this gentleman, but for some people I do know, super-high mileage can mean a rather empty life.

-- Jay Beattie.

Jay, Go visit the British Islands again. They are not like us where within 30 miles there are a half dozen towns and just about anything anyone could want. Since he ditched his car for the bikes so long ago, he did absolutely everything on his bike.

I think that you're thinking about the sort of wide open spaces we have here. I could conceivably do everything I want to do on a bike but I have a wife that no longer rides so I have to be able to ferry her around when she isn't using her own car.