Old November 28th 05, 02:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Cellular telephones in motor vehicles [WasL R.I.P. Jim Price ]

In article ,
Derk wrote:

CEarly wrote:

and he chose to fool with his cell phone will driving.

It's *STRICTLY* forbidden here and huge fines are given. Only hands free
calling is allowed here. I'm amazed this is considered to be normal in the
US.

Almost everyone focuses entirely upon the mechanics of
cellular telephone usage by operators of motor
vehicles. This is not the main problem. The main
problem is that the motor vehicle operator removes
attention from his surroundings and activities to
devote his attention to the mvo's relationship with the
person at the other end of the telephone connection. We
are all very social and very interested in our
relationships.

Another thing to consider is that the other party to
the conversation is not in the motor vehicle, so the
other party is free to provoke the mvo, to hurt the
mvo's feelings, and otherwise render him unfit to
operate a motor vehicle. The party on the other end is
free to do things he would never consider were he a
passenger in the motor vehicle.

One resultant that I see very often is a mvo in the
fast lane slowing and slowing and slowing, and when I
finally get around it see that it is engaged in a
telephone conversation.

--
Michael Press