Old April 22nd 07, 08:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Default Hybrid/Comfort Bike Recommendation

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
So far, all I've found (new) is the Bianchi Avenue
("http://www.bianchiusa.com/07_avenue.html"), which doesn't have the
greatest components, though it's not too expensive and I could always
upgrade components as needed. There are some used Jamis bikes around
before they went to the cheaper AL frames, but CroMo bikes are in such
high demand that they're no bargain.

Unless you're good with a welding torch and plan on entering a
destruction-derby contest, there is no good reason to rule out aluminum as a
frame material for a hybrid.

There are other reasons as well.

I may have S&S Torque couplers installed on several of my family's
bicycles now that even the international airlines are charging for
bicycles. While it's a lot to do a retrofit, it's less than the cost of
paying for a bicycle on 2-3 round-trip flights. You can't put the torque
couplers on aluminum frames.

I'd prefer to retrofit a better quality bicycle than the Bianchi, but if
none are available then it'll do. I may get the Surly Long Haul Trucker
and switch the brakes, shifters, headset, and bars to upright, but the
size I'd need comes with 26" wheels, rather than 700c. This may be a
compromise I have to make.