Old April 3rd 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Default Phils with threaded flange?

On Apr 2, 1:24*pm, Scott Gordo wrote:
Came across this ebay interesting listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-VINTAGE-PHI...NGE-HUBS-FIXIE...

It's for a front and rear hub, the front labeled Phil, the rear looks
a lot like a Phil but has a threaded driveside flange. They're being
sold as track hubs, but... I can't figure it out. No reduced radius
for a lockring. And, if I'm reading it right, the threading changes,
preventing the flange from moving too far out.

Anyone have any clues about these? I'm mystified.

Eeek. Run from that eBay seller! Prototype 1950s track hubs? Phil
made his first set of hubs in about '71 IIRC for sale by Spence Wolf
at Cupertino Bikes. His son, Barry Wood, was a buddy of mine at LGHS
back then. I was in to bikes and saw most of his products and never
saw anything like that -- nor would there be any reason to produce
something like it AFAIK.

Anyway, that looks like a broken hub. Turn the flange around, spin it
down with some Locktite, and you have a five speed, threaded freewheel
hub. I had a bunch of those and still have a couple in the basement.
I'll go home tonight to look at my old threaded five speed Phil hub,
but IMO, that's just a hub in need of repair. And yes, all of Phil's
track hubs had threading for a lock ring. -- Jay Beattie.