Old March 15th 17, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default More About Lights

On 3/13/2017 7:49 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On 2017-03-13 12:19, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/13/2017 2:06 PM, Joerg wrote:

Then you'd be back to this inferior dynamo lighting which goes out at
the traffic light, or uses dimmed or short-lived light if there is a
supercap installed.

Where are the tragic tales of cyclists who are seriously injured or
killed because their dynamo standlights were too dim or too short-lived?
Somehow those tales have failed to make it into the safety literature!

As we all know reports of fatal car-cyclist collisions are notoriously
short on details.

You claim to be something like a "teacher for safe cycling" yet you
don't know or ignore the most basic safety precautions. Astounding.
Actually, sad.

Unless their is a case-controlled, double-blind, study, Frank won't
believe that increasing visibility at night, both for seeing and being
seen, is beneficial.

Oh, come on, Stephen. People getting hit because their standlights are
too dim? We don't even have anecdotes about that!

As close as I can get to an anecdote is the guy I saw a night or two ago here in SLC who was mostly invisible until his dyno light lit up. It didn't have any stand light. He was turning across traffic, and I didn't hit him -- but a little more warning would have been nice.

As a cyclists, I suspect that you do take more care in looking for
cyclists that are not legally lit.