Old August 14th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default 1995 Campagnolo Mirage - will new one fit?

David In NH wrote:
"bfd" wrote in message
ps.com...

bfd wrote:
David In NH wrote:
Hi All:

My 1995 Bianchi Eros just lost its rear derailleur. (It committed
suicide by
jumping into the spokes and needs to be replaced.)

The derailleur is a 1995-vintage Campy Mirage and the bike has an 8
speed
cassette. Will a modern-day (i.e., 9 or 10 speed) version of the Mirage
fit?

Also, does anyone have a suggestion as to where to obtain replacement
parts
with reasonable shipping times?

You should NOT have any problems replacing your 1995 8 speed rear der
with a new, modern one. As long as the rear der has an adjusting
barrel, it should work. In fact, several of my friends have gone the
reverse route, using older 7 and 8 speed rear der with 9 speed cassette
and have no problem.

As for where to get, check out www.qbike.com oand AE bikescom.

Further, you may also want to check with your LBS, you may be surprise
with what they have laying around.

Thanks for the information. My LBS told me that to replace the rear der
along with the cassette, center chain ring and chain would be around $335.
which seemed high.

I've used a 1998 Ergo shifter with a 2003 rear derailleur and noticed a
slight degradation of shifting. 2001 was when they changed the rear
derailleur and Ergo movements. They do work together but its not as
perfect. In your case since there are no pre 2001 rear derailleurs
available, it will be fine enough.

I'd suggest ordering from England. Ribble Cycles or ProBikeKit. Or
11speed from Italy. Cheap Campagnolo parts.

Nashbar has a Centaur rear derailleur for $90. New 8 speed chains are
$10. Any brand will do. Nashbar has a Record 8 speed cassette for
$40. No need to replace your chainring. But Nashbar has a Stronglight
in the 135mm bcd for $20 or so if you want a new ring. Its 39 teeth.
It won't have the pick up pins and ramps of your current middle ring
but it will still work fine enough.

Cassette, rear derailleur, chain, chainring are all easily installed.
No need to pay a shop to do it. Or order the parts through them.

This was especially true after they said the chain was $42 although they
recently replaced the chain with an SRAM chain for far less.

I just wanted to see what was out there. Knowing that the parts can be
available much cheaper may give me some leverage in getting them to order
them from a lower-cost place.

Thanks.