Old November 19th 08, 12:03 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Michael Press

Default Upright versus laid back (was Bitter Irony...)

In article ,
Dane Buson wrote:

In rec.bicycles.misc Chalo wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

On a more serious note, following a high bottom bracket [2] recumbent is
different in that one can not tell if the rider is pedaling or not.
[...]
[2] Or fully faired.

It's easy to tell whether any kind of 'bent rider is pedaling or
not.

If he's wobbling back and forth rhythmically, barely in control of his
machine, he's pedaling.

If he's wobbling back and forth at random, barely in control of his
machine, he's coasting.

Now now, that's not fair. Some of them have three wheels and hardly
wobble at all. Which does have the advantage of doubling as a recliner
chair to fall asleep in when one [1] is tired and tipsy and decides to
fall asleep on your trike on your front lawn rather than get up and put
everything away and stumble inside.

Who used to watch Mystery Science Theater 3000 every week?

Dr. Forrester: Say, what's the most popular form of
exercise this month, hm? HMM? Well, that's right - the
recumbent bike! As I see it, recumbent creators were
afraid to make it *too* comfortable. Well, I'M not afraid!
TADAH! [He reveals a bicycle basically equipped with a bed]
Dr. Forrester: The ReComfy Bike!
[Frank enters wearing pyjamas and a bike helmet]

TV's Frank: Dr. F, could you tuck me in before my ride?
Dr. Forrester: Of course, Franklin, there you go. Check
out the reading lamp, nightstand and goose-down comforter.
Of course, we might have to ditch the wheels and the
pedals to make room for the ice machine and expresso bar, but...

TV's Frank: Uh, Dr. F, I can't get it to go.

Dr. Forrester: Well, try harder you LOAD!

TV's Frank: Well, there's kind of a lot of stuff here.

Dr. Forrester: [in whiny voice] Oh, there's kind of a lot
of stuff here. Nappy time, don't you think, Frank?
[forcefully tucks Frank in]

Dr. Forrester: Back up to you, Margot.

--
Michael Press