Old January 8th 17, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Andrew Chaplin

Default AG: Helmets

Joy Beeson wrote in
:

All summer I've been scolding myself for not getting down on the drops
often enough. There has been many a hill that I wouldn't have needed
to walk if I hadn't tried to take it sitting up.

Last Saturday (3 Dec. 2016), the dime dropped. I realized that when I
get down on the drops, the fixed eyeshade on my fancy new helmet
becomes an efficient blindfold; in order to see anything at all, I
have to twist my neck to an un-natural angle.

Quite clearly, what I have here isn't a bicycle helmet at all; it's a
BSO helmet.

Fortunately, it was about time to change back into my old helmet
anyway -- the new one is easily adjustable, but only in circumference;
the width is fixed, and that means that I can't wear it with a heavy
scarf, let alone a balaclava.

So the "helmet" is also designed only for butterfly riders who never
need to wear anything under the plastic hat.

I hate my old helmet, but it supports my Chuck Harris mirror, it fits
over winter clothing, and it provides some protection from the sun
without blocking my vision. I think I'll wear it all summer -- either
that or take a pair of tin snips to the new one.

I have two helmets, a white and silver 2010 Bell with a detachable visor
and a highlight yellow 2015 Gyro without. I ride the drops a lot of the
time and find I do not have to crane my neck inordinately to see. I miss a
visor on Gyro in the early mornings and late afternoons, but I chose it
largely because it was just about the brightest coloured bonnet I could
find, and I appreciate that. The Bell does not stand out enough for my
tastes.

Either helmet can accommodate a wooly liner or lycra balaclava, although I
found myself wearing only a classic cotton cyclist's cap this autumn, and
that largely for its visor to make up for the one that is not on the Gyro.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO