Old December 22nd 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Rechargable Cells/batteries for Lights

Keiron Kinninmont wrote:
Hi,

Currently using a rather bog-standard cateye front light for commuting. It
requires two C/R14/Baby size cells. I'm currently usinf NiMh 2300mAh cells.
Despite the claims of global warming, the rather bitter cold here is having
a noticable effect on the performance of the cells (maybe up to 1/3
reduction). i hear that Cadmium cells suffer less from this effect (despite
their other shortfalls), does anybody know how true this is in a/this
practical sense?

Secondly, i suspect that the longer/faster i ride the colder the light
becomes (fact, i've experimented and the effect is noticable) thus effecting
the battery further and i presume this is to do with a) increased time in
the cold (obviously) and b)wind chill effect. Before i go to the bother of
creating some neoprene light sleeve to increase insulation does anyone know
if this is likely to have the slightest effect?

Any other ideas appreciated

I don't use battery bike lights very often, preferring generators.
But:

Rather than insulating the entire light, you might make up an external
battery pack and wire it into the light. That pack might be easier to
insulate heavily, since there's no opening needed for the beam, and no
narrow space to the handlebar. If necessary, a long enough wire could
even allow putting that battery pack in a warm inside pocket.

Finally, that latter scheme is popular with those who mount the
headlight on their head. Again, not my favorite, but something you
could try.

- Frank Krygowski