Old November 30th 18, 05:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Tube cement, which brand is best?

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 09:50:59 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

Do you guys know a brand that is better and where a bunch of these
little tubes could be bought sans patches? Not so much for me but for
other riders because many reported similar problems.

The 8oz metal can of Rema "Tip Top Vulcanizing Fluid" in my shop seems
to last forever. I think it's been there for about 5 years. It's
been opened and used many times, yet shows no indication of hardening
or evaporation. The only thing I do that's tricky is wrap some Teflon
tape around the can threads to make it easier to open.
https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=52678

However, carrying such a large can on a ride is probably impractical.
When the same discussion appeared in r.b.t a few years ago, I decided
that quantity might be a suitable substitute for quality. I bought
30x tubes of cheap Chinese glue at a cost of about $0.50 per tube.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153039763013
I crudely tested the peel strength of the glue when it arrived. Rema
was better, but the cheap glue seemed good enough if I compressed the
glue joint with some kind of clamp (two pieces of wood and my vise
grip pliers). The original plan was to rotate the glue tubes every 6
months or so, but that never happened. So, I don't know if regular
rotation is a suitable solution. Cheap enough to try by carrying a
2nd tube.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D