Old November 30th 18, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default A few months waxing chain

On Friday, November 30, 2018 at 4:55:08 AM UTC-8, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello all,

A couple of months have passed since I switched to wax for chain
lubrication. I would estimate I rode about 3,000 kilometers with my
chain (cleaning it and lubricating it four times, I think), a point at
which I usually start measuring at least some elongation.

In this case, I cannot measure any. 10 links span 254 mm ± .3 mm, so
that is less than 1 ‰ of elongation. My chain is a good as new. As an
additional bonus, my entire drivetrain has never been that clean!

Unfortunately, when I switched to chain waxing, I also changed from
Shimano chains to a KMC 9.73 one, so I cannot assert that waxing
is good for chain wear, only that either it is, or KMC chains are very
resistant, or both.

Anyway, now I think I will soon be at the point where I will have to
replace my cassette that is starting to be a bit worn, without changing
the chain that is still as good as new!

--
Tanguy

My experience has been that chain waxes give you a far cleaner chain for a long time and the chain is usually quiet but the wear is fairly fast. And it leaves that impenetrable black muck on the cassette and chain rings which is very difficult to remove.

Rock and Roll Gold appears to me to work the best as long as you follow the directions completely - including the leaving it dry overnight.

KMC chains - the upper level ones like the Silver and Gold - wear very well but are significantly heavier.