Old March 16th 05, 08:36 PM
Matt O'Toole

I was thinking of maybe using my HT for a commuter - I suppose I could
switch out components. My HT is a mix of LX and XT parts (kind of
dated). My front fork is an older Marzocchi - although it still works
well, I think I'd need a new one.

Since my components are a little out of date, wouldn't it be better to
buy a whole new bike?

Probably not. Just upgrade or replace what's not up to par. The only reason to
replace your bike is if you want a newer, long travel suspension fork, which
your current frame won't accomodate.

BTW, I ride a 9 year old HT with the same LX/XT mix, and it still serves me well
for around town and mountain biking. I only bought it because of the reason I
just mentioned -- my previous bike wouldn't accomodate a reasonable suspension
fork. If you want a little more travel you might be able to switch to another
brand of fork -- Marzocchis are generally a little taller for the same amount of
travel. However, they tend to do more with less so performance may not be any
better.

Matt O.