Old August 19th 09, 03:42 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

Default Any one else get mistaken for a Hobo?

On Aug 19, 10:11*am, "
wrote:
On Aug 18, 6:31*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Per KingOfTheApes:

"I live in a strange little city where the only people that typicly
ride bikes (olther than $3000 carbon fiber jobbies) are hobos and
DWIs, especialy a twenty year old schwinn MTB with a milk-crate trunk-
basket...

Last year one of the bike mags did a story whose essence was
pointing out that in one major West-coast city, the majority of
bike riders were people who could not afford public
transportation.
--
PeteCresswell

It was Bicycling magazine I think. *And Los Angeles was the town
discussed. *But it was not people who could not afford public
transportation as the subject. *Public transport is cheap. *Even
$2-3-4-5 each way for bus or subway. *Compared to gas and parking,
cheap cheap cheap. *Especially parking. *The main bike riders were
homeless, unemployed, day laborers, poor people in this magazine
article. *They could not afford a car, gas, insurance, parking, etc,
etc. *Lots of costs with owning a car.

I call them the "SURVIVORS"... Those poor souls don't even know bikes
are good for the environment, and probably wished they had a car.

The solution is to GET RID OF HOMELESSNESS, which I think our rich
societies can afford.

Here the homeless and the fashionable (see post elsewhere) converge at
the local park, where the down and out spend the whole day --and
night.