Old March 12th 19, 11:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default GPS Units = Show road steepness?

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 11:02:28 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:
On 3/11/2019 1:23 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

I hate people on eBikes. But then again, I hate people on regular
bikes. Traffic is traffic. With eBikes, though, you end up with
otherwise unskilled riders who ride really fast in bike traffic. Fast
dopes. Really fast unassisted riders are generally skilled -- not
always, but generally. Imagine a pack of eBikers. It would make a Cat 5 race look safe.

Get ready for the eBike explosion in the U.S.. Costco is now selling an
eBike which one publication touted with "Is The Jetson Adventure E-Bike
Perfect?" for $1299.99. It is sufficient for most people's commuting
needs and it doesn't even really look like an eBike.

https://www.costco.com/Jetson-Adventure-Electric-Bike-.product.100370011.html

https://ridejetson.com/collections/bikes/products/adventure-electric-bike

Costco also periodically sells the GenZe eBike for around the same
price, with a larger motor and a throttle.

There's no real reason for eBikes to be costing $2000+, it's not that
much technology for a rear-hub motor wheel, a Li-Ion battery, and a
controller.

Around here a 30 miles radius of ride is not that far. How long is the
recharge time new and when the battery is old? I imaging that battery
life drops a fair bit as it gets older? How long before the radius drops
to 20 miles or less?

Are you talking about full electric bikes? I was talking about a variable
assist. In that case I think it depends on how much you use it. My
friend’s wife uses it on hills and maybe into wind but otherwise she
pedals.

--
duane