Old December 2nd 19, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default About Bicycles for a change

On Monday, December 2, 2019 at 10:01:21 AM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, December 2, 2019 at 9:02:27 AM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 4:50:30 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 3:40:24 PM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
I have a Redline Conquest cross bike.

I was using flat bars on the bike but cannot stand them and am changing over to drop bars. This causes me to replace all of the parts that are on the bike since they are really MTB parts. Thee are some things that I need that I don't see able to find anymo

1. A compact 175 crankset that has a 24 mm shaft. Is Shimano 105 a proper replacement for the BB386 bearings?

Yes, but you'll need an adapter. https://wheelsmfg.com/386evo-adapter...no-cranks.html

2. The seat tube is 32.4 mm and I can't find any adapter for the braze-on front derailleur I have for a compact crank. To fit a 31.8 mm it appears that I would have to force it to the point that it would scratch the paint off. The clamp on front derailleur is a 34.8 or whatever with some nylon adapters. These things are welded to the clamp with time. There must be somewhere that I can get these plastic adapters or has the almost entire switch over to CF bikes killed that market?

Google is your friend. 31.8mm clamps are common, and that would probably accommodate 32.4. Yes, there are plenty on the market. https://tinyurl.com/v6yfvv3

Also, I'm not getting it -- why do you need a new FD? If it is the OE derailleur, it should work with whatever new rear derailleur/lever set-up you buy, unless it was SRAM and you're going Shimano. You just move it up a bit to accommodate a 50t ring. I'm running a 105 compact crank on my CX bike with a 1980s Shimano 600EX derailleur and it works fine. I might upgrade, but it wouldn't be required.

This way the bike will double for me as a gravel/cross bike and when my anti-carbon fiber friend visits I can drop the seat to the proper level for him. It is pretty odd that most of my bikes now are what they call Extra-Large or 58 cm. I'm sort of anxious to get the Basso up again and compare the 62 cm ride to the 58.

There is no reason why you can't restore the bike to its former glory as a drop bar bike, although it was probably spec'd with a 48t big ring. I'm sure you can find a FD to work.

Olde tyme classic Italiano bikes could be 62cm ctc or ctt, and the frame would have a 58cm ctc top tube. Too short by current standards and my person preference. Your 58cm compacts may fit you better than the old 62cm Basso.

-- Jay Beattie.

1. That adapter does NOT appear to be modifying it for a BB386 but for a BB50. Where in the hell would you ever find a 386EVO anymore? Isn't that a FSA standard? They stopped making those a couple of years ago and no longer have any in stock.

You're always full of trick questions, so I'll just ask: is your BB threaded? If not, it is just a 46mm shell bore press fit bearing with a 30mm ID.. You will need a reducer. Read this: https://bikerumor.com/2011/12/22/fsa...rison-weights/

There is no such thing as BB50 -- except as a model number for a Shimano threaded BB cup. My commuter is a BB30 with Shimano cranks and a Wheels Mfg reducer/spacer. You need basically the same thing without a spacer since BB386 cranks have the same spindle length as Shimano.

2. The front derailleur is being replaced because it is an MTB top pull.. And I'm selling off the entire Avid hydraulic brakes with the flat bar and all of the derailleurs and crankset to go with them. The large ring on that crank is only a 38. The front derailleur has the curvature to match that tiny large ring.

O.K.

3. You CANNOT put a 31.8 adapter on a 32.4 tube without something giving. While it might be the adapter, it is more likely to be denting the seat tube. Looking at it, it appears that the old derailleur was a 34.9 mm clamp with the plastic adapters. Apparently the plastic adapters will distort enough to work fine so I've ordered those.

It really depends on the adapter and if you can adjust the radius (like a SRAM hanger), but fine, I linked you to a 34.9mm adapter. Go buy that.

The Basso top tube is 58 1/2 cm C-C. The Lemond (much to my surprise) is 59 cm and the Colnago is 57 cm. So even with a long stem the Colnago still has a more upright position. Though the Colnago does feel better in really fast stuff.

Lemond was known for the longer TT and really started the trend.

-- Jay Beattie.

Trick question? It is a BB386 which apparently means that it is nominally 386 mm wide and I stated that it is a 24 mm ID. What is trick about that? I'm not familiar with press-in 386 bottom brackets but with the multitudes of carbon bikes on the market I wouldn't be surprised at anything.

The picture you showed was press-in bearings. Perhaps I'm having trouble with my memory but I thought that the BB30 was the special and BB 50 was the narrow BB. A LOT narrower since I made the mistake of buying a high end carbon crank that could not possibly fit the width of a BB386.

The problem with the Lemond is that it puts a far higher loading on the handlebars and that is why they were rotating in the stem. I ordered a set of integrated handlebars. The first set arrived with deep scratches into the bar right at where the levers would attach. They were deep enough to compromise the strength of the bar. I got my money back and ordered a Took integrated bar. This one arrived and most of the packing looked completely intact. But there were DEEP damage to almost the same area - to the point where there is even a hole on the bar there. At another point that had intact 2 cm of packing material without any visual marks there was damage near the integrated stem. I wonder where damage like this is coming from? Do you suppose that the Chinese Government has something to do with this since the damage to both bars was in exactly the same location?