Old July 25th 05, 09:12 PM
Bill Bushnell

Steve knight wrote:
bents tent to have worse traction on the front then a df will. the
longer the wheel base the worse it will be. though the longer it is
the more time you have to react. so anything loose or wet or slippry
watch out for. like wet leaves and such.
I really liek this front tire it seems to grip far better
http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/...sory=983919734
I keep about 100psi in it.
I also foudn a pantour suspension hup helps with traction too.
as otehrs have said when you go down don't put your foot down. this
is called leg suck.

Good advice, except putting 100psi in the front tire. (See below.)

Here's my list of ways to avoid a front-end slide-out on a LWB:

1) Use your brain. More than anything else this will keep you out of
accidents. This means maintaining an awareness of your surroundings,
other road users, road conditions, speed, familiarity with the handling
characteristics of your bike, etc.

2) Practice riding your bike off-road on loose surfaces. Learn that it is
seldom wise to grab the brakes when a loss-of-control seems imminent and
that is is often better to _release_ the brakes when the tires start to
lose traction.

3) Don't overinflate your front tire. I run 90 psi in a Continental GP
(28mm) or 70psi in a Primo Comet (37mm). An overinflated front tire is
going to bounce all over the road when you corner hard on a road that has
any irregularities.

4) Put some weight over the front wheel. I carry all my water and some of
my other junk on handlebar bags (behind a fairing). I also lean forward
in my seat when cornering hard.

5) Know that if you do start to lose front-end traction, the best way to
regain it is to do one of the following: (a) release the front brake, if
you're using it, or (b) widen the turn. The LWB is quite forgiving of
exceeding front-end traction (compared to a road bike) if you react (but
don't overreact) quickly.

--
Bill Bushnell
http://pobox.com/~bushnell/