Old February 21st 04, 01:05 PM
Graeme

Default Cyclists are a Perverted Pestulance [Times Article 18/02]

"Tony Raven" wrote in
:

At 45mph that's about 50m or 11 car lengths stopping distance
according to the Highway Code. I reckon my dipped beams and those of
most of the cars I've looked at are about a third of that

Is that a third as measured at ground level? Because of the shape of the
beam as soon as you get above ground level the distance increases
considerably. The optimum will be roughly the height of the lights
themselves. Even the height of a fwuffy wittle bunnikins will add a metre
or two to the distance (so you have more time to get them right between the
eyes). ;o)

Graeme