Old May 20th 18, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Joerg may not be too crazy

On 5/20/2018 3:06 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
jbeattie wrote:
:On Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 7:38:05 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
: On 2018-05-19 16:51, jbeattie wrote:
: On Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 3:18:24 PM UTC-7, David Scheidt wrote:
: http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...ashington.html
:
:
: My brother lives in Snoqualmie and formerly lived next door in North
: Bend. I house sat for three months in North Bend and rode
: practically every day. Every ride was filled with mountain lions.
: Everywhere -- I had to clean fur out of my chain. Super dangerous
: place. You need to be packing serious heat:
: http://glock.pro/attachments/glock-p...1397584614.jpg
:
: In all seriousness, my brother said it was on a logging road not too
: far from his house. He doesn't know yet if it is anyone he knows. My
: brother was an old guy mountain bike champ (Washington state and some
: others), so he knows most of the roads and the riders. I don't
: recall him complaining about mountain lions or the incessant
: mechanical problems encountered by Joerg for that matter.
:
:
: Mountain lions are not very prevalent in WA state, probably too cold of
: a climate for them. That is very different here in CA. I never
: encountered one so far but saw fresh tracks on singletrack. Once on a
: singletrack I came upon a freshly slain fox right on the trail. While
: riding around it something big darted out of a bush and off into the
: thick vegetation. I don't know what it was but I only know one animal
: that would kill a fox and eat it. So I chose to get out of there and not
: to take this trail back home but to use a rather nasty and shoulderless
: country road.
:
: WA has different beasts. While on a winter hike in the snow up in the
: maintains near Stephens Pass a little bear followed me. It was probably
: hoping I'd drop my backpack. Every time I turned around it stopped.
: Looked too small for a bear to be on his or her own and eventually it
: gave up. I hope it found its way back to mama.

:Oregon has more mountain lions than California. https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conserva...-in-california
:https://www.dfw.state.or.us/wildlife/cougar/

:And our mountain lions are bigger, faster, stronger and meaner. Oregon is a smaller state, so mountain lion population density is high up here -- between 10-20 per square acre, even downtown. It's how we're handling the homeless problem. I found a mountain lion under my bed this morning. It's bad.

:Speaking of wildlife, I went out with the old guys for a short ride this morning, and one of my cohorts ran over a squirrel. I heard its neck snap. Poor 'ittle squirrel. They're everywhere right now, and the only option when you're descending on a bike is to go straight.

Friend of mine had a bad (broke collarbone, totalled bike) caused by
hitting a squirrel. It tired to jump through the wheel, or something.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/squirrel.jpg

Might have been worse with a mountain lion. Squirrels don't
rip out the rider's neck after the crash.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/