Old March 15th 05, 12:41 PM
Peter Cole

chrisfreeman wrote:
Are there any significant savings to be had in building up a bike

versus
purchasing a complete bike at the LBS? I've started saving up for a

new
bike but thought about the prospect of slowly building a bike up over

time period. While I think it would be a worthwhile endeavor to piece

together a bike, I don't know if it would save any money or if it

might
actually be more expensive.

It really depends on how good a deal you can get on components. I think
it's impossible to get a deal on a full set of components at once, so
you need to be prepared to collect them over some period of time.
Closeouts, Ebay, flea markets, etc. are good sources, you'll wind up
with a mixed collection -- not necessarily a bad thing.

I tend to buy "replacement" parts whenever I see a great deal. When the
pile of parts acquires critical mass, I assemble into a bike. The last
(bi)cycle took 2 years.

The last MTB I bought I tore down for parts without ever riding it.
Don't overlook this possibility. Sometimes you can find a new bike on
clearance for a really great price. Even if it doesn't fit you, it may
work out to use it for parts & sell or use on other bikes the parts you
don't want.