Old October 25th 18, 08:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default how long does water stay OK in a plastic bottle?

On 2018-10-25 11:44, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Joerg wrote:

I use a plastic drinking bottle, one or two
stainless thermoses plus in summer several
re-filled PET bottles (the cheap
"disposable" ones). On long MTB rides
easily five liters.

5l? How long are those MTB rides?

So are all day, usually five to eight hours.

Sounds wonderful, since I got this MTB I've
made daily tours and covered most of the city,
but really just found one great place to go,
and it is only some 25km!

But I'll dig deeper and perhaps find ways
between cities as well that aren't on the big
roads with all the cars.

Yes, do that, it's fun. On some of the routes I use 25km can take 3h and
that's assuming a fit and skilled offroad rider.

Some are easy, like this from Placerville to where I live and which is
the only bike-friendly connection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_T2c4AXaCY

It's probably even smoother in Sweden.

I have 2*650ml bottles on the frame and a rack
that takes 10kg.

10kg can quickly become 50kg for a second when you bang down a drop-off.
I almost found out the hard way.

... I usually lash a drybag to it. You panniers look interesting

They are the smallest ones I could find and suffice since I don't do
multi-day trips. I use the same on both road bike and MTB so switching
bikes with tool kit and all takes just a few seconds.

The rack has a loading platform to which cargo can be strapped but most
of the time it's just the little trunk riding up there. Key is the
diagonal strut, a "false bottom" and a flexing Perspex (Plexiglass)
plate pressing down the pannier hooks. Before I had that the boom of the
rack began to buckle on rough terrain under heavy load. This is the
stuff the bike industry just doesn't understand and the reason why many
offroad bike-packers have their MTB loaded too front-heavy. You have to
build it yourself. Luckily one of my biking buddies is a machinist and
has an industrial grade milling machine.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/