Old April 1st 18, 02:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Tires

On 3/31/2018 8:43 PM, John B. wrote:

On a bike with 700C tires I am currently running 23mm tires. Some of
the roads in Bangkok are pretty rough and my front fork could take a
25mm tire, but probably not wider, and I'm wondering whether it is
worth the effort to change from 23 to 25mm tires.

Alternately I could go a bit wider on the rear but again I'm wondering
whether that is worth while as the majority of the bumps I feel
through the front wheel and handle bars and the occasional snake bite
flat I get is always on the front.

Well, there's some data out there that indicates wider tires give lower
rolling resistance, assuming they're high quality with flexible
sidewalls. I see no reason not to try wider ones when you next replace
tires. Unless perhaps your brakes won't open far enough to clear the
inflated tire.

Our roads are famously rough. We see lots of freeze-thaw cycles, most
cities are cash-strapped, and this county has more miles of county roads
than most. But the state's paving money is the same for every county,
regardless of county road mileage. I never ride narrower than 28s. In
fact, most of my bikes have 32mm tires.

--
- Frank Krygowski