Old August 12th 17, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Octalink ES25 replacement?

On 2017-08-12 08:21, Tosspot wrote:
On 12/08/17 16:14, Joerg wrote:

snip

I might be able to live with a 3mm chain line offset (have to
check the M591 front derailer though) but the other issue is
that they supposedly only fit older Shimano crank sets because
of the 9mm splines:

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...or=1&minor= 6

The cranks have to go on super-snug because I am a low cadence masher
and often ride with a substantial load on the bike.

I would be very wary of 3mm. It may work with a dérailleur setup
but on my hub gears it needs to be the right side of 2mm or aggro
ensues.

Yes, I'd also prefer an exact match. Those 10-speed deals are
really fickle but the more serious MTBs in 2014 weren't available
with the good old 7-speed anymore.

To tell you the truth, if it were up to me I'd still be riding 8
speeds. Hell, you always shift twice on a 10 speed so it's really a
waste of time to have it. But you can't get any new parts such as
cassettes in good ratios so I'm stuck with 10 speeds. They did the
same damn thing with me with 9 speed parts.

Same here. I'd like to ratchet the MTB back from 10-speed to 7-speed or
8-speed. However, the largest cog you can get in a reasonably priced
7-speed or 8-speed cassette is 32T. On a 29" bike an older guy like me
needs 36T, especially when schlepping a load along.

I converted the road bike from 6-speed to 7-speed and there a 32T is ok.
Well, for now. I don't want a 10-speed road bike cassette.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/