Old September 16th 17, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

Default Reasonable expectation...............

wrote in message
On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 7:30:42 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 19:59:27 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John B." wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 21:33:17 +0100, "Ian Field"

On 2017-09-14 10:42, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/14/2017 12:32 PM, Ian Field wrote:
The bike I built up on a frame I dragged out of a hedge has
a seized seat post.

So far; I've slackened the clamp bolt and give it a squirt
of PTFE penetrating oil at least once a day - is there a
reasonable expectation that it might work loose?

Thanks.

Yes.
The vibration and cyclic loading of the post can free them.
Not always but well worth a daily shot of penetrant and some miles.
Leave the bolt out and cross your fingers!

Might sing soprano after it let go all of a sudden :-)

Its seriously stuck, it'll probably need a lot of twisting to shift it
at
all once it starts to loosen.

If I still had a welder, I'd weld a lever arm to it so I could apply
enough
force.

If it is an aluminum seat post in a steel frame and you can't budge it
with a, oh say 24 inch pipe wrench, after a few days of penetrating
oil then it probably won't come out without some serious attention.

I once spent nearly a week to make a boring bar and boring out a stuck
seat tube after all else failed however after reading the Internet I
discovered that dissolving the aluminum tube using lye would have been
much easier :-)

No aluminium - and I wouldn't want a glob of corrosive **** running down
into the BB bracket if there was.

You are supposed to disassemble the bicycle before you start :-(

From the Internet:

As a strong alkali, sodium hydroxide will attack and dissolve the
following metals: Tin, Aluminum, zinc, cadmium - behaves closely
enough to zinc. It will also attack chromium plating and copper,
although ammonia is far better at dissolving copper:

The reaction with those metals releases hydrogen gas.

Sodium hydroxide will not react with iron or steel, in fact the
alkaline conditions will not allow rust to grow;

What would you use in a frame that has been fully chromed?

Aluminium reacts with both acids and bases, But chrome is safe from most
alkalis. Some acids are particularly good at attacking chrome - I think
there's a few that don't damage it much.