Old July 16th 09, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Mark[_17_]

Default TdF reportage

On Jul 15, 4:28*am, Bill wrote:
wrote:
I watched the descent of the Tourmalet, the camera focused on a lead
breakaway rider pedaling hard at a cadence of 60-70rpm, with the
announcer claiming he was traveling at 60-65mph. *[what size sprockets
does that take?]

Damned good question. I just took a downhill at 35 MPH upright on a
mountain bike with a 48/11 combo and could barely pedal that fast, much
less add any power or speed. The hill was about 12% to 15% and fairly
short but no matter what the gears I could not imagine pedaling slowly
at 60-65 MPH. Maybe he was just moving his legs to keep blood flowing. I
admit to doing that sometimes on a long downhill where trying to pedal
would be a waste of time.

* Having ridden the Galibier where Phil Liggett has in

years past claimed descending speeds of 60mph I am certain that was
bluster, because coasting as fast as possible I and my ride companion
could barely achieve 40mph, the descent not being steep enough to go
any faster. *Even farther down, on the curvy, not steep enough,
Telegraph. *From experience 60mph requires at least a 13% grade as
straight sections of the Fedaia and Rombo passes in Italy have. *In
contrast, most roads that steep are not straight enough for speeds
above 35mph.

Beyond that, the strung out chasing field, all pedaling hard, are
apparently not shown in real time, because they appear to be traveling
over 40mph through curves without leaning into them significantly.

Marketing!

Jobst Brandt

No argument. I think a multiple gear arrangement would be needed for
anything much over 45 to 50 MPH, pro or not.

Bill Baka- Hide quoted text -

Check out last week's Men Pro Race at Massachusetts Fitrchburg/Longsjo
Classic on YouTube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L56BMBdjo1w.

The radar gun was calibrated by the police just before the event.
Many of the pros were riding 54 X 11 for the high speed descents