Old May 11th 17, 03:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Shimano Headset

On 2017-05-10 17:53, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 10 May 2017 15:41:23 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot

On 2017-05-10 14:41, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Joerg wrote:

In the lower picture you can see what
I mentioned in another thread: Fixed
wrenches, in contrast to adjustable ones, are
always larger than the nuts. Have to be in
order to account for tolerances. So they
never grab cleanly which will wear the nut
over time and also ding it.

Well... doesn't any wrench has to be bigger
than the nut in order to grab it?

Adjustable tools doesn't offer a tighter grip.

They sure do, provided you have a good one and not one from the local
discounter.

Even if it could in theory just feel the part
that is adjustable - you can almost always ruck
it back and forth, just a bit but nonetheless.

Yes, but that sliver is much smaller than with a regular sized fixed wrench.

Also the adjustable wrench is often used in
a careless manner. People don't adjust it to
perfection before they pull!

Ya well, if people use them as hammers and such the work result will
usually show it.

No, fixed keys are the best and in particular
the ring side (closed end) of the combination
spanner as that pulls on all sides of a hex
bolt or nut.

For most situations I use fixed wrenches but not when if has to be super
snug. However, as I said I have a few really high-quality adjustable
wrenches. The smaller cheaper ones are more for emergencies.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

If adjustable wrenches are so dang great then why do repair

shops spend thousands of dollars on wrenches designed to fit the
fastener?

Two reasons.

a. They are just fine for most standard situations because the head of
the screw or the nut is designed to withstand a slight oversize in the
wrench at max permissible torque.

b. It's faster. They must mind mechanics times. I don't.

Cheers

Actually wrenches and nuts and bolts aren't designed so that the
wrench is a press fit onto the fastener since that would mean that in
order to fit the wrench to the fastener it would have to be in perfect
alignment. Hardly practical in a working environment.

Nor is some mythical "perfect fit" necessary as fasteners are designed
to be tightened or loosened using conventional tools and the size of
the hexagon head or nut provides sufficient flat length to avoid the
wrench slipping and rounding the corners. In fact, using conventional
wrenches it is quite easy to actually break the shank of a fastener
without damaging the head at all.

But then, to one who habitually uses a nail and a rock as a chain tool
the use of proper tools is probably a mystery.

Try to differentiate between an outdoors emergency situation and the
workshop in the garage. It's not that difficult.

-