Old March 26th 18, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default MTB disc brake caused wild fire

On 2018-03-26 13:57, sms wrote:
On 3/26/2018 12:15 PM, Joerg wrote:
Remember when some folks here scoffed at that risk? Bernd Ullrich in
the German language bike NG posted this link but it is in German:

http://www.rp-online.de/panorama/aus...-aid-1.7479241

Here are link with photos and a video of the fi

http://www.vol.at/vorarlberg-waldbra...rsberg/5722558

http://vorarlberg.orf.at/news/stories/2903197/

Long story short it says that a Swiss MTB rider parked his MTB in
grass after a downhill ride. Then ... phut ... smoke and flames. He
and two other guys were unable to put out the fast-spreading fire. Two
helicopters over 100 fire fighters were required to get this under
control.

Grant Petersen was right.
https://www.rivbike.com/pages/disc-brakes

Quote "But the idea that hub-disc brakes are an advancement or even
desirable for general purpose riding ... is nonsense"

If that's really his reasoning then he hasn't got a clue. Yesterday I
coasted back down a hill with a friend and a nasty hail storm set in.
He had disc brakes and could always stop on a dime. I was on my road
bike with rim brakes and they started to fail miserably. I had to keep
them partially engaged almost the whole time to make sure I had enough
brake actions when needed.

You had to squeeze your levers almost the whole time?

Oh, the humanity!

It's not the squeezing, it's the constant grinding noise. Grinding noise
+ several miles = rim abrasion.

Disc brakes are simply superior in that and many other domains.

Interestingly, the grinding noise from the Koolstop pads was worse than
from the much cheaper Clarks pads. Braking efficiency in that weather
was equally lousy.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/