Old February 27th 19, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Coaster Brake Failure

On 2019-02-25 07:29, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+ years
old?

They must have improved it.

In German there is the inofficial word "verschlimmbessern". It sums
up the action of "Here we have a working design but let's optimize it
anyhow" and then it all goes to pots. A very common scenario in
software design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp_D8r-2hwk

Sometimes those things happen for reasons Tom mentioned. People using
library modules that others have written, assuming everything in those
we be just fine. And then things aren't.

This is one of the reasons why I prefer gear with the least amount of
electronics and software in there and, for example, will never be caught
with electronic shifters on a bicycle.

I am saying this as an engineer who designs electroncics.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/