Old March 4th 19, 10:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Designers vs. engineers

On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 8:35:53 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 3:12:12 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
New York's Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) currently features an exhibition
called "The Value of Good Design." See

https://www.moma.org/calendar/exhibitions/5032

Unfortunately, they include the 1960's Spacelander bicycle as an example
of good design! See
https://www.moma.org/calendar/exhibi...image_index=34

I took one for a brief test ride many years ago. MoMA's standards are
certainly far different from mine. It's hard to imagine a heavier,
clumsier rattletrap of a bike. Heck, I'd prefer that Fiat 500!

But then, the rest of the exhibition seems to glorify the 1950s and
1960s as an era of "good design." Weird.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank, you rode the moon bike? Tell us how that came about.

The "modern" designs of everything in the 1950's was ghastly. There was absolutely nothing that was good. From Frank's 40 lb Spacelander to the step stools that would turn over even under the weight of the little kid I was then. None of the modern "furniture" could be used unless you were perfectly the right size and it didn't appear that anyone was. When you would go to the stores like Montgomery-Ward people sitting in them would immediately get up making faces. (As a side note - Montgomery-Ward is STILL in business in the mid-west I believe)