Old March 11th 19, 03:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default The death of rim brakes?

On 3/11/2019 2:13 AM, Tosspot wrote:
On 3/11/19 1:10 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

snip

Well, the rim brakes on my various bikes are the ones that were used
for _every_ case since 1976. The only brake failure I ever experienced
was before them, on my first super-cheap 10 speed with chrome steel
rims, during a pouring thunderstorm. I had to overshoot the turn I was
planning to make.

I don't care if people prefer discs. But it bothers me when
manufacturers or others start implying that rim brakes are inadequate
for even ordinary riding.

Why did we ever move away from chromed steel rims?Â* Cheap and easy to
manufacture, lasted for ever (you still see them about!) and looked great!

I suspect the main reason was weight. But there were tremendous
differences in braking when wet. The incident I mentioned was an
example. The rain was pouring down heavily. I coasted down a slight hill
intending to turn right into a little road at the bottom. But the brakes
had no effect for perhaps five seconds or more. I rolled right past that
little road.

Those were probably the worst style of chrome steel rims. They featured
little pits on their braking surface, perhaps intended to provide
roughness and aid braking, I don't know. But they acted as little water
reservoirs, keeping the brake pads from wiping the rims dry.

I've heard that there were hard-to-find brake blocks that worked well
with wet chrome steel rims, but I've never seen them in the flesh, let
alone tested them.

--
- Frank Krygowski