Old March 12th 19, 02:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default GPS Week Rollover April 6, 2019

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 11:22:56 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 12/3/19 4:07 pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 10:38:53 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
On 3/11/2019 10:06 PM, Mike A Schwab wrote:
The GPS system uses a 10 bit week field. Initial week was
January 1980, first rollover was August 1999, second rollover is
April 6, 2019. Some units had problems with week 1,000.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/some-g...after-april-6/

Damn. I hope that doesn't somehow affect my paper maps.

;-)

-- - Frank Krygowski

The only thing that might affect your paper maps is the unexpected
faster movement of the magnetic north pole.

https://www.livescience.com/64685-ma...l-updated.html

Rain.

Wind, too, although I expect rain makes certain display screens difficult or impossible to read.

What maps give you is a better understanding of your over-all position in the world -- rather than a postage stamp sized "you are here" map. If you zoom out, you often lose your frame of reference or details get so small that they are useless (road names go away, etc.). The only thing worse are step-by-step riding or driving instructions. You make a wrong turn or get accidentally funneled off a highway by the off-ramp from hell and your're screwed. You need a regular map to figure out how to get back on course. People should also learn to read maps -- just in case the power goes out or batteries go dead. They should also have a cross-bow to shoot zombies when the power goes out because zombies are associated with power outages.

-- Jay Beattie.