Old June 15th 15, 11:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
john B.

Default AG: Getting chain grease off the calf

On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 20:13:02 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

This post is late because I was too tired to write when I came home
yesterday -- so tired that I woke up with a gray spot on my calf this
morning.

Well, I forgot the chain grease when I was showering partly because
that was only the second time I didn't wear long pants this spring,
and partly because it rained heavily during the last half mile of the
ride and I was in a big hurry to get my clothes off.

But that gives me a topic: when you lather up the black spot and
rinse it off, it turns gray -- then you have to scrub really hard to
get the rest of it off and your calf is red instead of black.

Well, it's that way for me. Younger folks with greasier skin might
shed the dirt more easily.

Go to a beauty-supply store and buy one of the hard plastic sponges
that they sell as cheap substitutes for pumice stones. Mine is
labeled "pumice contour" and has a logo of a weightlifter named "Mr.
Pumice."

After washing your leg, rub soap on the gray spot and rub soap on the
wet "pumice". One or two light strokes and poof! the grease is gone,
with no skin irritation.

Those "grease spots" are a combination of oil, or grease, and dirt.
Gasoline removes them quite easily :-)
--
cheers,

John B.