Old November 7th 11, 10:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Uncle Dave

Default OT - College Football

On 07/11/2011 19:06, Michael Press wrote:
In ,
Uncle wrote:

On 07/11/2011 07:32, Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:

snip

Thanks for that excellent reply. I guess the roots of the schedules are
hidden way back in time and it would make sense they are region based.
So is the Ivy League a football thing or just a name given to the rich
old colleges?

The Ivy League is alive and well. For me the games
are as good as any, even though they do not and
cannot compete with the strongest 100 or so college
football programs. Though the players are typically
not a match for the best college players, they are
used to being the best in other ways, and it shows
on the football field.

http://www.ivyleaguesports.com/sports/fball/2011-12/standings

Do any particular leagues have an edge in the same way

The powerhouse conferences ebb and rise in relative power,
but not by much.

that the AFC didn't win the Superbowl for a long time?

The AFC won the third and fourth Superbowls.

Um, I didn't say they never won any Superbowls. When I first started
watching American football it seemed they would probably never do it
again. Rather like we all thought the Cold War would go on for ever.
Patriots, Browns, Colts and Chargers were joke teams and the AFC
contenders were very much second best. Only Tampa Bay - who were the
biggest joke of all - stopped the AFC scraping the bottom of the barrel.
Ah, but Montana, Rice, Payton, Taylor et al - those were good times to
get to know the game!

Thanks for the informative reply. I'll keep watching College games as
it feels a lot more natural watching a game around tea-time on a
Saturday rather than on a Sunday night!

UD