Old March 15th 19, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

Default Carpocalypse

On 15/03/2019 01:41, TMS320 wrote:
On 14/03/2019 10:02, Peter Keller wrote:
On 14/03/2019 07:01, TMS320 wrote:
I only suggested what will happen when/if we wipe ourselves out. People
talk about "saving the planet". That is the bull**** bit - the planet
will save itself.

Yes the planet will save itself, probably by wiping out most of the
human race through war or pestilence.
To make a difference to global warming we have to reduce emissions by
over 75%.
This will simply not happen if the population is nearly 8B and growing.
We have to find a humane way of getting the population of the world to
fall to 2B or less
Telling everyone to reduce their emissions by 75% by going back to the
stone age simply will not happen.

Yes, some want to think that altering the atmosphere does not have
consequences. Even if they try to argue that GW is not one of the
consequences.

yes it has happened before.
The Great Dying at the end of the Permian was accompanied by GW of over
8 C, caused largely by the formation of Pangaea with its large amount of
waterless land blasted by the sun, reduction of plant life leading to a
rise in CO2 in the atmosphere, and killing off of 95% of the animals in
the world at that time.
Perhaps killing off 75% of the humans is not such a bad thing.