Old February 18th 19, 07:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Conbtinental has come out with a GP5000S and a GP5000TL

On 2019-02-11 15:32,
wrote:
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 4:54:06 PM UTC-8, Duane wrote:
wrote:
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 3:52:27 PM UTC+1, Duane wrote:
On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 7:56:22 PM UTC+1, Joerg
On 2019-02-09 09:52,
wrote:

I learned pretty soon that paying more than $20 for a road
bike tire is a waste of money. In fact, they can be worse
than expensive tires. Similar for MTB tires.

That depends on your riding conditions and requirements. I
ride on good roads on my road bikes and get 4500 km out of a
Continental 4000S(2) rear tire and expect the same from the
5000 so price is not that important.

Lou

I get about the same mileage and very few flats. I think I’ve
had one flat in the last 10,000km and that was a tube giving
out when I hit a pothole hard. I ride on roads but I can’t say
they’re always good roads.

Maybe Joerg is riding his road bike on single track carrying 4
gallons of water or something...

1-1/2 gallons max, on hot summer days. This is required on some rides
unless you carry chlorine tablets, can stomach that taste _and_
suppress any thoughts about what you've seen in the river during
kayaking further upstream.

So you're riding a road bike on single track carrying 1-1/2 gallons of
water. Maybe you have the wrong bike for that.

No, I use a 29" FS MTB for that. What I am saying is that the problem
with tires is basically the same whether road bike or MTB. Expensive
tires are designed towards light weight and performance. Then, their
sidewalls fail.

My point is that you seem to have different results from anyone I know
with respect to tires. I don't know anyone doing any serious mileage on
a road bike that thinks cheaper tires are better.

I have met lots of road bike riders who have realized that expensive
tires just aren't worth it unless you plan to participate in the Amgen
Tour, every millisecond counts and a team car is there at your beck and
call.

Saying that the additional cost is not worth the return for your
specific use case is different than saying that cheaper tires are better
than expensive tires.

Well we do have one guy that buys chinese knock off tires online. He's
had so many split tires that we are contemplating a GoFundMe page for
him so we don't have to keep stopping to put boots in his tires...

Very different here. The rolling surface does wear down within 2000mi
which is slighlty lower than the 2500mi I could milk out of a Gatorskin.
However, I get 2000mi out of every tire while I only got around 1000mi
out of the Gatorskins where the sidewalls blew.

Are you talking about single track now or are you saying your roads wear
tires down more than say Quebec roads? Hard to keep track. And do the
Gatorskin tires just blow sidewalls or are you running into ruts or
something?

All this assumes a tire liner so I can ride tires down to their "last
mile". In goat's head thorn country wheer I live a liner is the prudent
to do anyhow.

Not sure what you mean by a tire liner. It's not like they are optional
as far as I know.

If memory serves, Joerg is riding a lot in the California coastal range which has a lot of sharp rocks as opposed to the inland hills which are mostly broken down dirt. I had the same sorts of experience on the coastal range as did the groups I would ride with. Along my normal routes the only sharp rocks I encounter are those that have broken off of the hillside and fallen down upon the roads. While this is common enough riding around them is usually easy.

But if I try to ride the coastal trails I have to watch carefully. It is easy to get a flat out in the middle of nowhere that isn't repairable.

As a midwesterner, I'm not familiar with your west coast
terms. Cameron Park is 100 miles+ from the Pacific. Is that
considered 'coastal'?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/